- "When it comes to interpreting the story of our band to date, we all have our different summaries. In the case of Yours Truly,
as I look back on the contents included in this sumptuously designed box set, the story that calls out to me is all about a
journey of rebirth. Creative rebirth in particular." - Jim
- Rejuvenation was the first release by Demon Records who purchased the rights for Simple Minds' back catalogue
from 2001 through to 2014. This encompassed the band's period at Eagle Records, Sanctuary Records,
Universal and Caroline and included the albums Neon Lights,
Black And White 050505,
Graffiti Soul and
- "Originally released in October 2001, Neon Lights is a collection of cover
versions put together as a warm up for what would be the next album Cry.
Jim said at the time: 'Neon Lights is
the first time Simple Minds have put together a collection of
non-original material. We thought it was appropriate at a period of looking back that we go to the very foundations of Simple Minds,
which of course is the music and the bands who influenced us."
- The albums were pressed up on coloured 180g vinyl and collected together as a box-set. It was the first time the first three
albums had appeared on that format, and the artwork and inner sleeves were based on the original CDs and booklets.
- Cry was released by Simple Minds in April 2002 and was
recorded in Sicily and Glasgow.
Talking at the time, Jim said, 'I like the idea of very focused melodies,
tight arrangements, commercial stuff. I said to Charlie 'This is the only kind of
music I want to make just now. Let's try and go on the edge and do some real pop stuff.'"
- Some of the albums were augmented with extra tracks. In all cases, these corresponded to limited edition CD releases in other
territories: Neon Lights was based on the US Pressing which added the
bonus tracks Being Boiled and
Love Will Tear Us Apart; Black And White was based on the
Black And White 050505 Japanese import which included
Too Much Television; and Graffiti Soul was based on
the standard CD which featured
Shadows And Light
and Rockin' In the Free World.
- "Work started on this follow-up to Cry in 2002 and was heavily influenced by
the band's live work from that period.
'Having delivered Black And White 050505, an album that we believe is
classic Simple Minds , albeit with a whole new energy. We can honestly say that we are delighted with the results and
look forward with a totally revitalised outlook to this next phase of our on going creativity.'"
- Original sleeve designers Fabrique were contacted for help with Neon Lights and Black And White 050505
to get original pictures of the sleeve designs. At one point, there was talk about reshooting the cover for Neon Lights
if the original picture couldn't be found (and perhaps using a CD instead of a cassette). There was also a discussion about the
reversed picture on the front of Cry and whether it should be changed. In the end, the original artwork was presevered.
- "Graffiti Soul was released in May 2009 and continued
Simple Minds return to the top, charting at #10.
'We would create ideas and work on those ideas for hours. That's the way we worked upon Graffiti Soul's
tracks; we worked upon ideas and just let them evolve over long periods of time.'"
- The box-set's artwork was based on the logo for Big Music and elements of
an unreleased design for a proposed single.
- The colours of the vinyl were picked as follows:
- The transparent disc of Neon Lights matched the cassette case on the original sleeve.
- Gold matched the colour scheme of Cry.
- Black And White 050505 had to be pressed on white vinyl.
- Red matched the colour scheme of Graffiti Soul.
- And the grey and blue colours of the Big Music discs corresponded to the sky on the sleeve.
- "The final album in the box is the highly acclaimed Big Music, released
by Simple Minds in October 2014 and reaching #12 in the UK Charts."
- Jim wrote the notes on the back of the box whilst on
tour in America. This is why he signs off in New York City.
- A CD version of the box-set was issued in March 2019. This include more bonus material as each CD was
packaged as a deluxe edition album.
- The records were sold separately in April 2019. They weren't changed and were still 180g pressings on